Your pillows along with the mattress play a key role in providing a proper spinal alignment while you sleep. But over time, pillows get worn out, and thus, they result in bedsores, headaches, and sleeplessness. With that in mind, it is very important to replace the pillows from time to time.
But the question is, how often should you replace your pillows? Keep reading to find out!
Why Is It Important To Replace The Pillows?
Generally, what happens is, when you sleep at night, your body sheds hair, oils, and dead cells which are then absorbed by your pillow. This buildup attracts various germs and bacteria inside the pillow. Though you can wash away the dirt, the bacteria are not easy to get rid of. These cause your pillow to become heavy and impair its ability to offer comfort and support.
While it is recommended to wash the pillows regularly, this will eventually degrade their quality.
So, it is very important to replace them from time to time to make sure you get a nice and comfortable sleep.
If you’re still not convinced, here are the common signs that show you should replace your pillows.
How Often Should You Replace Your Pillows – Few Signs
- You’re noticing visible lumps in the filler material or the foam
- There are stains of oil and sweat on it.
- You wake with severe headaches.
- You’re struggling to sleep peacefully.
- Your pillow causes you back and neck pain.
- You wake up tired due to incomplete sleep and body aches.
- Your pillow is not as fluffy as it used to be (in case of feather pillow)
- You sneeze a lot after waking up. This could be due to dust mites.
- You’re facing certain allergies, either because of dirt or the germs residing inside your pillow.
So, these are some basic signs why you should consider replacing your pillows. Apart from that, you’ll need a new pillow if you’ve changed your sleeping position. For example, if you’ve started sleeping on your back by switching from the side, you will obviously need a new pillow with the right height.
When Should You Replace Your Pillows?
As a general rule of thumb, you should change your pillows every one to two years. However, there are some types of pillows that may last for long because of the high-quality material they build from.
Below is the average lifespan of certain types of pillows :
- Latex – Most Durable, Lasts for a maximum of 4 years.
- Buckwheat – Lasts for a maximum of 3 years.
- Feather – Lasts for a good 36 months.
- Memory Foam – Lasts for 18 to 36 months.
- Synthetic Down – Lasts for 18 to 24 months.
- Polyester – Lasts for 6 to 24 months.
In order to ensure that your pillows last for long, maintain them by washing and cleaning their covers regularly.
So, this was about the importance of timely replacing your pillows. But, what to do with the used pillows? Should you throw them?
Definitely not! You can use the used pillows as floor cushions, pet beds, car cushions, etc.
How often should you replace your pillows? In order to maintain a proper posture while sleeping and to get a peaceful and sound sleep, you should always change your pillows every 18-24 months.